Self care is basically any activity that takes care of the mind, body and spirit.
A good, regular self care routine is key to improving your mood and reducing anxiety.
One of the benefits of a Self Care routine is that is provided you, by you. By identifying your own needs and taking responsibility to taking the steps you need to meet them.
It’s about treating yourself as kindly as you would others.
But whats the point of having a self care routine? Just some of the benefits are:
- improved relationship skills
- increased well-being
- increased optimism and hope
- better physical health management
- improved mood
- improved quality of life
- decreased stress levels
But how do I work out what I need to care for?
- Focus on each of the following areas of your life:
spiritual, mental, physical, and emotional.
- How you feel about each area on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Ask yourself which needs most attention and what you can do to nurture this part of yourself. You may find it helpful to write this down.
- Take a few quiet moments away from distraction to sit quietly and focus on your breathing.
Once you’ve discovered which area you need to focus on, here are some ideas to get you started for looking after your:
Try Meditation / Set Boundaries / Forgive Yourself / Journal.
Take a nap / Drink Water / Buy healthy snacks / Go for a walk in the park.
Call a friend / Read your favourite book / Plan some healthy meals / Dance about.
Don’t forget that this is a new habit so give yourself time to get used to it and before you know it, knowing what you need and giving yourself it will become second nature.